Franklin's Thirteen Virtues

Without scripture to fall back on, how do we determine how we ought to live and understand the world?
Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Franklin's Thirteen Virtues

Unread post by Rick » December 16th, 2018, 7:15 am

How do you feel about Benjamin Franklin's "thirteen virtues"? I've always admired them -- dating back to when I was a Christian -- but never made a concerted effort to apply them to my life.

I would love to raise my daughter with a solid framework of virtuous behavior -- behavior that is good to herself and to others, moral, ethical, not "righteous" in regards to sin but righteous in her treatment of everyone, that she might be excellent to others. And certainly, I would need to get some of my acts together to be a better model!

I'm just curious if you've ever practiced or meditated on these virtues before, and I'm also curious who you'd use as more appropriate persons for the last entry -- Jesus never existed, after all.
Benjamin Franklin wrote:Temperance. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.

Silence. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.

Order. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.

Resolution. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

Frugality. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

Industry. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

Sincerity. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

Justice. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

Moderation. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

Cleanliness. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.

Tranquillity. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

Chastity. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

Humility. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Franklin's Thirteen Virtues

Unread post by Rick » December 20th, 2018, 6:51 am

I'd average it out with one of the next statements: "never to dullness."

So long as its enjoyed, is pleasurable, and is above all mutually consensual, you're good. But to the point of being bored with it or making it into a chore or whatever, that's one extreme of the spectrum. (The other extreme would be something like "abstinence is good, mmmmkay.")

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!