Recommended reading list?

For all your atheist, agnostic, humanist, materialist, secularist, and otherwise godless discussions and study.
Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Recommended reading list?

Unread post by Rick » December 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

Suppose you meet someone who just cast off the shackles of religion yesterday, thinks they might be an atheist, knows that you are, and is looking for some recommended reading material?

What do you tell them?

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recommended reading list?

Unread post by Rick » December 17th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Great list!

I would add to it a book which is just phenomenal and is designed to help people not only understand religions, but all manner of pseudoscience: Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World."

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

twicedouble
My Pronouns Are: he/him

Unread post by twicedouble » December 20th, 2018, 2:18 am

Y’know. I have yet to read that.

I’m willing to bet Douglas Adams has something. I can’t say for sure but I know he has a good argument for the supposed order of the universe.

Something to the effect of water in a hole looks like it is made perfect for the hole, but I’m reality it adapts to fit the hole. Similar to how we appear to be created for our universe when we’ve evolved to live in the universe we’re in.

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Rick » December 20th, 2018, 6:56 am

Dennett -- I'm not familiar with that name.

Prince_of_Oreon

Unread post by Prince_of_Oreon » December 21st, 2018, 4:47 pm

Rick wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 6:56 am
Dennett -- I'm not familiar with that name.
One of his best books is Breaking the Spell - Religion as a Natural Phenomenon, but he has other formidable volumes including Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking. I'd describe his writing style as cumbersome, but the message is not regurgitated.

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Rick » December 22nd, 2018, 7:20 am

Cumbersome can be fine if the ideas are good. I'll keep his name on my radar.

Noah Spersions
My Pronouns Are: he/him

Unread post by Noah Spersions » January 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

OK, there are a LOT of good reads. I'm of a generation before the 4 horseman so what really interests me will escape those new to unbelief.

Here are a couple contemporary authors I highly recommend:

Dan Barker "Godless"

David Fitzgerald "NAILED" and "THE COMPLETE HERETIC'S GUIDE TO WESTERN RELIGION" series.

Dan Everett "Don't Sleep, There are Snakes" and "The Pirahã: People Who Define Happiness Without God" which can be found here: [https://ffrf.org/publications/freethoug ... ithout-god]

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.“

--Dr Seuss

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Rick » January 14th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I don't think I've heard a group described as the Four Horsemen (except maybe Metallica...); Hitchens and Dawkins I'd guess are two of them. Who are the other two?

I'll look up some of those names you shared.