Why are Christians, Christians?

Get to know the Bible, Jesus, and teachings of the various sects of Christianity, including Catholicism, Protestantism, and more.
Noah Spersions
My Pronouns Are: he/him

Why are Christians, Christians?

Unread post by Noah Spersions » January 15th, 2019, 6:17 am

I stumbled across an article years ago in a Christian publication called “How Peter Singer and Oxford turned me off Atheism” by Sarah Irving-Stonebraker. Once I got past the religious boilerplate rhetoric she gets to some of the emotional reasons for her conversion.

From the article:

"After Cambridge, I was elected to a Junior Research Fellowship at Oxford. There, I attended three guest lectures by world-class philosopher and atheist public intellectual, Peter Singer. Singer recognised that philosophy faces a vexing problem in relation to the issue of human worth. The natural world yields no egalitarian picture of human capacities. What about the child whose disabilities or illness compromises her abilities to reason? Yet, without reference to some set of capacities as the basis of human worth, the intrinsic value of all human beings becomes an ungrounded assertion;"

Determinism can be a hard pill to swallow for some folks. Naturalism is the antithesis of the idea of group and individual value and it’s why the notion of afterlife and being redeemed by an unconditionally loving deity is so popular among religionists.

She [Sarah Irving-Stonebreaker] goes on to say:

"I remember leaving Singer’s lectures with a strange intellectual vertigo; I was committed to believing that universal human value was more than just a well-meaning conceit of liberalism. But I knew from my own research in the history of European empires and their encounters with indigenous cultures, that societies have always had different conceptions of human worth, or lack thereof. The premise of human equality is not a self-evident truth: it is profoundly historically contingent. I began to realize that the implications of my atheism were incompatible with almost every value I held dear."

And there you have it. Faced with the choice of believing in a god given universal human value or dealing with the logical consequence of a world with no god in it, she chose the comfort of faith. Not because there was evidence for a god, but because it felt better emotionally.

She acknowledges this in her further rationale:

"Moreover, God wants broken people, not self-righteous ones."

This makes me sad. People aren’t intrinsically broken. That’s one of the most pernicious lies perpetrated by Christianity. And it makes me angry to think people blithely accept that the only way they would feel like they have value would be if an imaginary entity provided it. Christianity is an appeal to emotional laziness. Rather than do the work of dealing with feelings of inadequacy and insecurity, it's easier to imagine a parent/child relationship with a deity who has a plan you don't need to know.
Its all been taken care of. All your sins are forgiven and you'll live forever in a state of happiness. It's a good gig if you can get it.

Ref: [https://web.archive.org/web/20170601061 ... f-atheism/]

“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.“

--Dr Seuss