Christianity Indirectly Endorses Rape (CW: discussion of rape)

Get to know the Bible, Jesus, and teachings of the various sects of Christianity, including Catholicism, Protestantism, and more.
Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Christianity Indirectly Endorses Rape (CW: discussion of rape)

Unread post by Rick » December 12th, 2018, 7:17 am

No, Christians aren't told to go rape people, nor are they told to be okay with rape.

That said, they do hold as sacred a book which does endorse rape.

First, it's important to know that even though the Old Testament, including its "law of God," isn't necessarily binding on Christians, Christians do believe that it is perfect -- that it was inspired by God and therefore reflective of his character, as you can see in this chart:
the-law-a-reflection-of-gods-character_2.jpg
Chart from https://lifehopeandtruth.com/god/blog/the-law-a-reflection-of-gods-character/
Knowing, then, that the Law given in the Old Testament is "just," "perfect," "pure," and so on, when we find things in the Law which are objectionable to our sensibilities, we must accept that to the Bible's God (and by extension, obedient Christians), those objectionable things are just, perfect, pure, etc.

Now, all of that said, I want to direct your attention to Deuteronomy 22, a chapter with little else besides a list of laws, and in particular, verses 28 and 29 (here taken from the ESV:
Moses wrote:“If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days.
If a man finds a single virgin and rapes her, if they are found out, the man has his dick cut off and is cast out of society.

Oh, wait, no... uh... If they are found out, the man is imprisoned for thirty years.

No, dangit, that isn't right either. Oh! If they are found out, he pays the girl's father fifty shekels*. That's it: Fifty shekels in exchange for the "privilege" of taking and raping someone whom he obviously found to be attractive. Granted, that isn't chump change, but it also isn't a grave punishment by any means.

But it gets worse.

The poor girl who was raped now has no value in this ancient society which valued virginity more than the woman. So the Bible then gives her a "mercy": she must marry him because he violated her. This person who attacked her, who may have traumatized her, who may have irreparably harmed her psyche forever (there weren't exactly therapists back then...), who may now represent all that is bad about the world to her... She is now stuck with him. Forever.

This must be considered by believers to be pure and just, to be a perfect reflection of the attitude of God, an attitude which values women only insofar as their vaginas are used in accordance with the law of God and man.

No, Christians aren't bound by this law, but the God they claim to love, the God that they say everyone needs to believe in lest they face eternal hellfire... that God does believe in that law because that law is a perfect reflection of that God.

And neither the law nor God are capable of change (see again the above chart).

This outrageous expectation that a rape victim must marry her attacker is what caused my faith in the Bible to die within moment of reading the passage. I went from faith to unbelief faster than I thought possible. I consider the above few verses inoculating against religion. Everyone should know them, and every Christian must be faced with them.

* One shekel was 7 to 14 grams. Fifty shekels would be 350 to 700 grams. It's difficult to know what the value of silver was in ancient times, but today, 1 gram of silver is worth about 50 cents (USD). So $175 to $350 would be the value.

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!