Voyager 2 Becomes 2nd Humanmade Object to Leave Solar System

Science is our best gateway for understanding the universe and all it contains. Share your favorite discoveries, ask questions, ogle insect pics, and whatever else science leads you to appreciate.
Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Voyager 2 Becomes 2nd Humanmade Object to Leave Solar System

Unread post by Rick » December 11th, 2018, 1:23 am

Moving at roughly 34,000 mph, Voyager II has become only the second humanmade object to fully leave our solar system and reaching interstellar space. It accomplished this feat about six years after its twin craft, Voyager I, achieved the same milestone.

It took Voyager II 41 years to reach this point in its journey, placing it over eleven billion miles from earth.

By contrast, Alpha Centauri, the closest start to our own, is 25.672 trillion miles away!

We're going to have to seriously step up our game if we ever want to more effectively guarantee our species' survival by leaving our solar system to colonize elsewhere!

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46502820

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Voyager 2 Becomes 2nd Humanmade Object to Leave Solar System

Unread post by Rick » December 11th, 2018, 3:11 am

Unfortunately, becoming spacefaring only prolongs the inevitable.

Although, I do like the idea that if humanity colonizes space in a variety of different locations, over the course of millions of years, if those colonies survive, it's possible that humanity evolves in very different ways owing to the potentially very different environments which are colonized. Eventually, humanity's branching trees become the extraterrestrial aliens we've always hoped were out there. Although, if we ever figure out a decently quick way to travel between our colonies, then the interbreeding between them may circumvent this to some extent.

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!