Any ant fans out there?

Science is our best gateway for understanding the universe and all it contains. Share your favorite discoveries, ask questions, ogle insect pics, and whatever else science leads you to appreciate.
Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Any ant fans out there?

Unread post by Rick » December 14th, 2018, 7:40 am

Sometime after Christmas, my daughter and I will be starting our biggest critter project yet, converting a 10 gallon aquarium into an ant farm.

Ideally, the aquarium will be at least half filled with some sort of sod, with a “pond” on one side, plants planted around, and open space decorated with terrarium moss, twigs, and stones.

We’re going to order a supply of ants that includes a queen ant and, with any luck, have an ongoing colony.

I have questions, though.

What’s the best way to seal this thing so that it is still accessible for water and feeding? Currently the aquarium is open-topped. Ant escapees is not an option.

Feeding ants fruit, as recommended by a lot of guides, leads to fruit flies (we have a small ant habitat with teensy air holes, and fruit flies make it into it without problem). Would a Venus fly trap be a feasible plant to include, provided the queen ant keeps the population replenished?

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any ant fans out there?

Unread post by Rick » December 20th, 2018, 6:47 am

I thought about that, but I wasn't sure how that would work with an ant farm. Decades ago, I had a tropical toad as a pet, and the instructions I was given was to feed it a dozen crickets a week.

My experience was that it would eat them pretty damn quickly til there were none left, then just basically hang loose til the next feeding came around. I'd be afraid a frog would simply eat up every ant it came across til we were left with nothing more than a frog habitat.

Although I could avoid the issue of fruit flies altogether by sticking to only letting Anya feed them bits of carbs (bread, crackers, cookies) or maybe cheese rather than fruits or veggies.

I ran a multiple-thousands of users Christian message board. My how things change.
Hit me up if you're interested in a moderator position or more, if you have a group or forum idea, or anything else to better our world here!

Rick
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any ant fans out there?

Unread post by Rick » December 24th, 2018, 3:25 am

Do they come in miniature? The tank isn't very large, and it's needing to contain quite a bit of dirt already.